And emotional.
Over the last year, I have lived in The McGuire.
It seemed to me like a place of crossroads, where many young professionals moved to the city from out of state and found there self at The McGuire. This 25 story, upscale apartment buildings in the middle of Belltown.
I have a feeling, that the population at The McGuire became younger in the past 2 years as well.
The McGuire has been under construction the past few years, eventually becoming completely surrounded in scaffolding. Many people assumed it was for cosmetic reasons, but we all knew the work was structural in nature.
Given the construction, the rates on the building were lowered, by about a quarter.
Somehow, I found myself there, which is funny in retrospect.
It technically was a little out of my price cap, but it was what I wanted, so I went for it.
The 460 square foot studio became home to me like no place I have ever known.
It was a whole space for me, that was complete comfort and ease.
The summer at The McGuire is something I can still feel on my skin and a rush of blood through me. It was a particularly good Summer for Seattle and with the grills and outdoor seating on the 7th floor, there were plenty of people to talk with. Plenty of meat and vegetables to grill, tons of wine to drink. So many days, that you don't want to end.
And just to sit out there, in the sun, a warm breeze kissing your skin as night falls in the late hours. It is as though the building had gills and gave us all a sweet taste of life.
Perhaps that explains much of my sadness today.
My sadness today was for loss, for acknowledgment, and for not wanting something good to come to a close.
It is an odd thing to move, seeing the place you transformed into a home, become gutted and left for dead. That is what is happening at The McGuire.
Everyday, a few more residents leave, not having to clean their home, leaving it far worse than they received it. But worse, knowing that it will never be tended to again, experiences finished.
The building, in acknowledgement, was a part of many people's journey.
I am so passionate about it because it was in face, a year of discovery, freedom, and independence. It is my studio at The McGuire I came home to or where I danced freely in, where I brought boys home to, and retreated from the world.
At the time I didn't know it, but as I learned that I would have to vacate, my studio represented the ideal space. I think that is just because I made it home, as did many.
I talked to a guy last night who has lived there for ten years! That is, since it was built. He claims he is not leaving until they force him to. As of now, they are hoping to get everyone out by June 30th.
As I said my good-bye today, I realized I might be closing a chapter of my life that I really relished. I also realized maybe I am ready for the next chapter anyhow. I am reminded, how I long to hold onto that which is good, forgetting, that that which lies ahead, has the possibility of being richer.
No comments:
Post a Comment